If you are considering adopting one of our dogs or puppies, please carefully read and consider our policies regarding placement. Each animal we serve has come to us seeking a permanent home, and C.A.R.E. takes its responsibility for each dog’s well-being very seriously. In many cases, the dogs have been affected by a lack of safety, security, consistency, training, and basic proper care. Our responsibility is to ensure that each dog finds a loving forever home, and our interactions with the dog, our veterinarians, and our policies govern the decisions that we make about a potential adoption.
Our adoption policies are summarized below, and our full policies are available here.
- We adopt to persons over 21 years of age who own or rent their home, apartment, or condominium.
- A home visit is required for all adoptions.
- We ask for, and strongly consider, a veterinary reference. We specifically look for the following:
- You maintain a safe and healthy environment for your pets.
- You keep your animals' vaccines and heartworm prevention up-to-date.
- You spay or neuter your animals.
- You otherwise maintain your animals' health as recommended.
- We do not place dogs in homes with larger dogs or preschool-aged children for the safety of the dog and the child.
Fences and Homes
- We always prefer homes with a constructed fenced yard.
- We may require a constructed fenced yard for some dogs. The dog's Petfinder page will specify fence requirements.
- We do not adopt to homes with electric fences. Please read the following articles for more insight into this decision:
- We require that our dogs be placed in non-smoking homes.
- We consider our puppies to be dogs of less than 12 months of age.
- Puppies are adopted only to homes with adults who are home most of each day for socialization and training.
- We do not place puppies in homes with larger dogs or preschool-aged children for the safety of the puppy and the child.